Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Fond memories of Arkansas


One of the things that I really love about these farm stamps is the memories they bring me. My dad grew up in Arkansas on a farm. Every year we would go to Arkansas for our vacation. Many times this was summer time when it was HOT! But I truly loved all of the time spent there with my grandparents, aunts, uncles and gobs of cousins. My grandfather grew watermelons to sell out of the back of his truck (a travelling salesman) and right there in his front yard which was along the highway. We would get to help him pick watermelons from the field and go off with him to peddle. And if we were playing outside and someone came by to buy melons, we'd run to find an adult. His roadside stand was very well known, too. Anyhow, these stamps, when put together, remind me of my Papaw Lawrence and Mamaw Cassie. The truck image is actually pumpkins, but colored green and added curly stems, they look like the huge watermelons from the garden. And, while he never carried a pitchfork around, he was always willing to cut up a watermelon for us to eat, sometimes right out in the field! I have worked on a few of these "scenes from Holly Grove, Arkansas" and will be sharing them with you.
Card info: images, pretty little paper and sentiment by A Muse, Prismacolor markers, ribbon by May Arts, cardstock from my supply, black pen (to draw watermelon slice).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so stinkin' cute!! I love how you changed the pumpkins into watermelons!! Adorable!

june g. said...

elena

love it, love it, love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Elena: It's Papaw! I finally thought to subscribe so I can remember to check your site more often - you make such wonderful designs, and I'm glad you are sharing them.

Anonymous said...

that is so cute! love the watermelon on the pitchfork and lil curly cues on the melons. great job!

Anonymous said...

Really fun! I just bought a watermelon today.