Friday, July 1, 2011

Jump Starting

I want to thank those of you who gave me such kind words of encouragement. My husband asked me about what I had written and he reminded me of why I like to stamp and how long I have been doing it. He was able to reason with me that I would miss the creative outlet that stamping and blogging gives me. It makes me Elena, not "mom." So, here goes...

Well, I don't have any affiliation with A Muse Studio and it makes me a little sad. However, I do have some of the new product and wanted to work with it. My first card comes to you courtesy of Paper Crafts Connection and a color challenge. The blue, red, black and white combination is a favorite of mine and one I've used a lot recently. I needed to make a few thank you notes to send to some stores that donated items for a school trip. This was a quick and easy card, too, so it will be easy to replicate.



One of the things that I decided to do to add the black was to mimic some washi tape. I have a small roll of some American Crafts washi tape but it is green, so I stamped some small dots, trimmed the edges, then tore the ends, just like I would have done with tape. Easy! I think I'm going to try it with vellum for a more tap-like look.



This next card comes to you courtesy of the Create blog and the Accordion Paper Flowers challenge. Last year I made some accordions/rosettes for my front door. I have been wanting to make more, so this was my chance. Since the Fourth of July holiday weekend, I thought I'd make a firecracker with an accordion flower as the flame.



I used a grass die to make the edge, folded and shaped the "flame" and attached it just above the body of the firecracker (which I adhered to the card with a slight bow to it to add dimension). Adding twinkle stickers around the edge gave it a little oomph. FYI, I usually add a button or stamped image over the center of the rosettes to cover the Diamond Glaze I use to hold it together.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love these!!! The black with the red and blue is so striking. Very clever way to mimic tape!

Cheap Logo Design said...

Excellent posting! i am so glad to find out your blog immediately. i appreciate your designs and i just want to say "Design creates culture. Culture shapes values. Values determine the future."

Marilynn said...

Nice cards. Hope you are getting some of you joy back. Transitions are hard, but I think you'll find a new groove. Sounds like you have a very wise hubby who knows you well.

PennyH said...

Yay!!! I'm so happy to see your blogging & creating again! Awesome cards! Happy 4th! :)

judy said...

Awesome cards! I was happy to see
that your husband reminded you of
the reason why you stamp and blog--
having a creative outlet is so important!

sara said...

I'm glad you decided to keep blogging!

Unknown said...

I lovvvve the flame! What a great idea:)

Stephanie Ortiz Contreras said...

you got yourself a good husband - we're lucky he talked you in staying with us! these creations are so cute - that's why you can't say goodbye! keep 'em coming :)

Paige Taylor Evans said...

Love these cards so much!

Novell said...

These incredible creations are exactly why you shouldn't give up on your blog! While I don't spend as much time blog hopping (or blogging) as I used to, I do like to stop by and visit my old friends once in a while. Just blog when you feel like it. We'll be here, waiting for you.

Karen Linarez said...

I love your idea for the firecracker top. It looks great!

Melissa Roell said...

very creative - that why we love you!

Jennie M said...

Beautiful cards Elena! I am so glad you decided to keep blogging. I took a long blog break when A Muse ended too, and I just started blogging again and I realized that I have really missed it. It is fun! Thanks for sharing your awesome creations! :)

Korie B. said...

Seriously, seriously, seriously cool.